Tuesday, February 7, 2017

This is NOT Fine.


So the Senate today decided to confirm someone who is completely unqualified for the job she was appointed to. What is more, DeVos has an obvious bias against the Public Education System and prefers Private School education and good education for the select few who can afford it...while everyone else suffers.
This is bad for each and every child in the country and I will explain why...

Regardless of how great an education your child gets, the overall educational average for the country matters.... if most kids are in a failing or underpaid system, then the standards slip and things go south....

We are in a very competitive educational environment on a global scale, where people compete for jobs across national lines and thus our kids need to be prepared for that scenario and instead we are continuing to marginalize the people who cannot afford to send their kids to nice private schools....
I do not want to be cynical, but perhaps this is what the wealthy want, to maintain their class supremacy at all costs, even at the risk of dumbing down the rest of the nation.

I am a product of public education... I do not think all private schools are bad and I do not think they are the enemy, but many of the private schools in the area where I live were specifically created as a counter to school desegregation and thus I find them to be kind of disgusting and a huge part of the problem. Moreover, I was sent to a private school for a year and loathed its closed minded and noninclusive atmosphere... I felt ostracized because I did not like the right type of music, wore the right type of clothes, or concerned myself with the right social necessities (which apparently was not doing schoolwork, but trying to date boys).
I am not laying all of this on the doormat of a private school... 
My husband went to a private school and loved his education and received top notch attention in a very multi-ethnic and diverse atmosphere... but again, most children cannot afford such things and having a head of the Department of Education who has not one single day of experience in the Public School system....who openly is antagonistic towards public schools, and prefers a voucher/charter school system... worries me. 

In other news....
Our President cannot help himself from tweeting like an angry 9 year old every single morning. 
Its embarrassing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment